Sports Concussion Recognition
Taking a few knocks here and there is part and parcel of many sports, but there is a fine line between a minor collision or niggle and a serious head injury or concussion.
There have been so many high-profile concussion cases across a range of professional sports in recent years. It’s an issue that has been belatedly brought to the forefront of people’s attention. Today, the level of care available far exceeds what it was even 10 or 15 years ago.
Concussion does not strictly mean a loss of consciousness or seeing someone lying prostrate on the ground. There are numerous warning signs of which you should be aware of that a participant could be concussed:
- There is a long delay in the person getting back to his/her feet after taking a blow to the head.
- The person is clutching his/her head after contact with a surface, object or another person.
- The person is suffering from a constant, recurring or extreme headache.
- The person is finding it difficult to maintain balance and achieve adequate co-ordination.
- The person’s sensual abilities have decreased, e.g. they feel dizzy or have a vacant stare.
- The person’s cognitive abilities have decreased, e.g. they feel disoriented or find it difficult to comprehend what’s being said to them.
- The person’s speech is slurred or they are not even able to speak.
- Most serious of all, the person has lost consciousness.
Below you will see an infographic from Bracken Foam Fabricators which further explores the topic of concussion and head injury in sports. Sensible practices such as wearing protective headgear, practising safe techniques and trying to reduce the level of permissible contact should help to minimize the likelihood of a sportsperson being concussed or suffering a bad head injury.
Sport is meant to be enjoyed; it is not intended to be a battle to avoid serious injury.
,Advertise Here on GrillFat.com
Sugar KILLS…Silently, Insidiously
Learn How to Quit Sugar Now!
Credit Card Is Not Required
Click Here for FREE Download.
Join YOUR Tribe &
Gourmet It! To Peak Health
Click Here and WELCOME!